Frequently Asked Questions

I have put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions (below). Don't hesitate to contact me if you would like further information.

Q. What can I expect in the first session of counselling?


Choosing the right person to work with you is very important and our first session is designed to see if ‘the fit is right’ and whether I am the appropriate therapist for you.  Our first session is an assessment session.  


In this session we both gain an understanding of the issue/s and also, gain a sense of how we will work together.  We will aim to understand what has brought you to counselling and form a psychological agreement on what you hope will be achieved during your sessions. Other housekeeping, such as cancellation policy, fee structure, availability of sessions, and how we will work together, will be discussed.


Q. How will I know if I need more sessions in counselling?


After the assessment session I will ask you to attend three following session to work on the issue/s.  During this time, sometimes the issues/s is resolved. At other times, change may involve more exploration of the issue/s.  Given the unique circumstances and needs of each person or couple more sessions may be needed.  The ongoing number of sessions will be negotiated between each person/couple/family and myself.


Q. How do I know if I need to bring my partner or not to the counselling session?


When tackling problems associated with your relationship it is often best to include your partner in the couples counselling process.  In some instances your partner may not want to come, or you may want to talk through your relationship challenges privately. In this instance you do not need to bring your partner.


Q. Are there other concessions or rebates for counselling?


As I am a relationship counsellor please note that couples counselling is not included under the Medicare scheme.


Q. Do I need to attend Family dispute Resolution?


The Family Law website outlines changes which have been made to the family law system and encourages parents to develop cooperative parenting solutions without going to court. ‘Family Dispute Resolution is a practicality for separating families to try to resolve any disagreements and make arrangements for the future.


If your application is an application for parenting order, then you must provide a certificate with your application to the court.  This requirement applies even if you have pre-existing orders in relation to the child that is subject of the current application.


A court will not be able to hear an application for parenting order unless a certificate from an accredited Family Dispute resolution practitioner is filed with the application. 


In certain circumstances the court may grant you an exemption from the requirement to file a certificate.’


Q. Do I need to attend Family dispute Resolution when it is only a financial dispute?


The Family Court requires people to apply for financial orders to follow pre-action proceeding, including attending dispute resolution, before filing an application.


There are some exceptions to these requirements such as those involving family violence, fraud or urgency.